Each month, we’re turning the spotlight on our community to share their stories and flaunt our styles (after all, who would we rather see than the women who really wear them?). Watch this space for more incredible style and stories. If you would like to be considered for an upcoming installment of “We’re Inspired By…”, submit your unique story!
This month we’re traveling down to Texas! Vera, a proud mother of two young children, shares her story of embracing her post-baby body, while finding joy in experimenting with new fashion choices. For these reasons and more… we’re inspired by Vera!
Nothing empowers me more than feeling great about what I’m wearing.
Meet the Member!
Name: Vera T.
Location: Longview, TX
Member Since: September 2015
1. Tell our readers a little bit about yourself!
I’m a Texas girl that loves: Jesus, my amazing husband, Marcus, and two sons, Langston (4 years old) and Cohen (10 months). I grew up in a VERY small town of a little over 300 people until I went off to college. I met Marcus in a college class and I guess you can say the rest is history. Since graduating college in 2008, I’ve been in Sales/marketing for At Home Healthcare – a locally owned home health agency that serves counties in northeast, east, and central Texas. Often, I get asked what nationality I am, so a fun fact about myself…I’m both Hispanic and Japanese.
2. What inspired you to become a Gwynnie Bee member?
You know how everyone describes the “I just had a baby” wardrobe? That would describe my wardrobe of choice perfectly (black yoga pants, messy bun, t-shirts, caps) before I became a member. Everything in my closet was black and I was in a major fashion frump. Even when I dressed up for work, I no longer felt put together or “cute”. My husband and I were getting ready embark on a fun trip to Vegas, and I needed major help in the wardrobe department! I had seen ads for Gwynnie Bee, and when a friend shared her positive experience (thank you, Emily)—I jumped on board and became a member.
3. What has your Gwynnie Bee experience been like thus far?
FABULOUS! From the moment I received my first box, I’ve been amazed at the quality and variety Gwynnie Bee offers. It’s a great feeling, knowing I never have to worry about something I love not being available in my size. Gwynnie Bee has given me the opportunity to utilize hundreds of brands that I normally wouldn’t have access to in Northeast Texas. I thank you so much, Gwynnie Bee!
4. How has Gwynnie Bee changed the way you approach fashion?Without a doubt, it has added color and variety to my closet. It has given me that extra pep in my step back, and allows me to have fun with my fashion choices. I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone and love it! It’s given me an even stronger love for dresses and helped me learn what styles fit me best. Plus, I adore never having to wear something more than once, and if I do want to, I have the option to purchase (no more department store fitting rooms…yay). In 2016, my fashion goal is to incorporate skirts into my closet…fun, fun, fun! Nothing empowers me more than feeling great about what I’m wearing.
5. What pieces have you been most excited to receive? Has any piece surprised you with how much you love it?
Excited is an understatement, as I might have a small obsession with the Melissa McCarthy Forever Black Pencil Jeans! They’re oh-so-comfy, and you can dress them up or down. My personal fave—pair them with cute, strappy heels!
The piece that surprised me the most, would definitely be the Tbags Los Angeles Splice Neck Abstract Print Dress. The material was amazingly soft, gorgeous colors, comfortable, and fit perfect. It’s safe to say, I’m a huge fan of this brand now, thanks to this dress!
6. How would you describe your sense of style? What influences your fashion sense?
I like to think I’m classy and love to add glam to that class. My go-to items are: blazers, big earrings, heels and hats. In fact, you’ll hardly ever not see me in a pair of heels. I love to find clothing with lots of small detail and mix patterns and colors. When thinking about what influences my style, I would say flexibility. It’s great having pieces that can look great at work, or my kiddos’ outings, but can easily be turned into something sexy for a night out!
7. Who are the women who inspire you?
To select a single person, it would hands down be my grandma, Tokiko. Growing up, she was the most glamorous lady I knew. Her closet was always filled with furs, silks, dresses (formal and non-formal), heels, jewelry from around the world, and lots of hats. But also near and dear to my heart, are the ladies that know beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Who aren’t afraid to share a picture of themselves in whatever outfit they feel comfortable in. The ladies that embrace their stretch marks and just love themselves for who God made them to be. It’s these ladies that inspire and remind me to have fun in my own body, and enjoy fashion to the fullest!