With New York Fashion Week just behind us, we looked to fashion guru and author of Secrets of Stylists: An Insider’s Guide to Styling the Stars, Sasha Charnin Morrison for the inside scoop on the must-know trends. Check out her seven favorites below and to take the runway into everyday.
Fall Fashion 2017-2018 in New York was like a breathe of fresh air. It’s time to be a fashion rebel. Do your own thing. Less preach, no dictation… just news. I loved that many designers diversified as well as gave us models who were gorgeous and beautiful with all different body types. You could actually see yourself in these clothes.
Cut to the chase… here’s what to expect in 6 months time:
1) Protest Tee’s: We are all feeling it. And we’re in it together. I used to hate this look but now, it’s become so important. Its a reminder. Never give up! Designers one after the other sent out inspiring messages on tee shirts (similar to what we wore in the 1980’s) this has become completely universal.
2) Moody, Deep Florals: Yes! Seasonless. A sort of buffer to soften harsh Fall trends, like leather. The tones are rich, not ditzy. And are meant to be mixed with knits, shearling coats and worn with contrasting colored opaque tights and boots. Or sneakers. Or a heel. Whatever you want. I can have a latte or two and I don’t have to worry so much about the old iron that wrinkly look works too!
3) Americana/Double Denim: This always looks fresh and sexy to me. Denim always works. Not stick skinny straight either. You have a little leg room and the shirt doubles as a jacket. And I like a heel at all times. Not sky-high but something to give you a little lift. Pointy toes elongate the leg which seems to be the style designers favored. I really don’t know anyone who doesn’t look good in this.
4) Crimson: The brighter the better. Coats, skirts, turtlenecks, dresses. Baby pink was last years fun and new but maybe too “toddler”? This flash of color is more fiery as well as womanly. Very sexy. Added bonus: this looks great on everyone.
5) Creme de creme: Lately, I have become obsessed with wearing impractical white-I think it’s part of my rebellion. I like going against what’s expected and an all creamy white feels spot on. Yes white after Labor Day (who made up that stupid rule anyhow?). It’s so good to mix with all of those neutral beige pieces you haven’t worn. Go into the closet before your resell that camel classic coat add these whites and nude pump or suede bootie.
6) Foxy Ladies: My eyes almost fell out of my head when Ashley Graham walked the Michael Kors runway. What a beauty-no? She looked up fierce in her fox fur. Oscar de la Renta made a sexy fox jacket that was as thin as a cardigan. Brandon Maxwell’s elegant emerald topped his elegant gown in the same hue. And at Sally Le Pointe-a game of thrones style 3/4 coat belted to perfection. Now, of course, there are also faux fur counterparts available as well. Warm and perfect with these glamorous underpinnings but just as good over a hoodie and jeans.
7) Metallica/Acid Jewel Tones: Washed silver and gold for evening, silver metallic dresses seemed to rule for this season as well as acid jeweled velvety-toned columns. The more disco ball shine, the better. We are obviously still in the beautiful 1970’s era and that doesn’t seem to end. That’s ok with me.