It’s International Podcast Day! We’re happy to celebrate this day, as podcasts have filled our commutes and downtime with a lot of laughter, interesting perspectives, great interviews, and things we never knew before. Narrowing down a list of podcasts to recommend wasn’t easy, but these are our “can’t misses”. Read on to see if your favorite is featured and to fill up your own podcast queue with new recommendations.
- This American Life – Hosted by Ira Glass, this podcast featuring true stories and weekly themes has won every major broadcasting award. Be prepared to laugh, cry, and have your point of view challenged in this podcast that explores humanity for a personal journal perspective. Episode we recommend: #464: Invisible Made Visible.
- Stuff You Should Know – Josh and Chuck break down “Stuff You Should Know” from website HowStuffWorks.com. Informative and a little funny, this podcast is great for the curious mind. Episode we recommend: #194 (Approximately) 10 Things That Vanished Mysteriously.
- Steal the Stars – You don’t want to miss this 14-episode noir science fiction thriller, voiced by a full cast of experienced film, theater, and voice actors. Steal the Stars is the story of Dakota Prentiss and Matt Salem, two government employees guarding the biggest secret in the world: a crashed UFO. BONUS: the lead character is voiced by Ashlie Atkinson, actress and long time friend of GB! Episode we recommend: #1 Warm Bodies. You’ll want to start this from the beginning.
- TedTalks Daily – Thought-provoking ideas in bite size episodes, learn something new every day, typically in only 5 to 20 minutes. If you love TedTalks, this great way to get your on-the-go fix. Episode we recommend: #19 How our friendships survive opposing politics.
- Sleep with Me – Can’t sleep? Listen to your host Scooter tell a bedtime story that progressively gets more boring, til you can’t help but drift off. Scooter’s creaky dulcet tones will lull you into dreamland. Episode we recommend: #537 Salad in Real Time.
- Here’s the Thing with Alec Baldwin – Alec Baldwin interviews your favorite artists, celebrities, and policy makers in a disarming way that cuts to the core of his interviewee. Episode we recommend: #15 Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman Take it Slow in Work and in Love.
- Code Switch – A podcast dedicated to navigating issues of race and identity in today’s society, Code Switch includes a cast of journalist of color, who are tackling how we talk about this dynamic in our culture. Episode we recommend: #77 Made for You and Me.
Did we miss your favorite? Comment below and let us know what you’re listening to – we are always open to a new podcast!