Welcome to another installment of “Not a Model,” where Gwynnie Bee members style and play model in their favorite items. This is a great resource to see how different items look on different heights and body types, and could spark some styling inspiration for various pieces. To see previous “Not a Model” posts, click here.
She’s not a model, but she plays one with Gwynnie Bee!
Gwynnie Bee Member: Oneida
36 years old
Bronx, New York
Size: Size 16/18, depending on the cut, brand
Facebook: Girl with a Map
Oneida is wearing the NY Collection Geo Print A-Line Dress
Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.
I was born and raised in New York City (The Bronx to be exact!) and even though it can get a little hectic and overwhelming sometimes, I love it. I love traveling and my favorite places include Rome, Guatemala, and Paris. I started a Facebook page called Girl With A Map (www.facebook.com/girlwithamap
How long have you been a member of Gwynnie Bee?
I have been a member of GB since February 2013.
Why did you join?
After struggling with my weight for most of my life, at the beginning of this year, I made a determination to love myself exactly as I am. My journey of self-acceptance led me to many wonderful “curvy blogs”, one of them being Girl With Curves (I had my Girl With A Map page before I discovered the blog so it felt like destiny that her page had such a similar name! lol). I was so amazed at this beautiful woman who looked like me and dressed so fabulously. She mentioned Gwynnie Bee and once I saw the beautiful clothing GB offered, and the hassle-free experience, joining was a no-brainer.
Share with us a favorite Gwynnie Bee moment.
Receiving my first box with the handwritten note, and beautiful, carefully wrapped items. It felt really special and I felt like a brand finally understood me and cared about me.
What are your favorite Gwynnie Bee brands?
I love Eloquii and am so sad they are going out of business. I wish they gave their wonderful line a chance. I also love Kiyonna, their pieces are very figure flattering in lovely, comfortable fabrics.
What are your favorite Gwynnie Bee pieces?
- Gosh there are so many! One of my favorites is the NY Collection Geo Print A-Line Dress that I wore for the GB Not a Model shoot. It’s such a fun print and I felt so sexy in it!
- I also love the Frock & Frill Bell Sleeve Floral Dress. It was so bohemian, flowery and dreamy, a departure from my usual city chic style. I really loved wearing it. GB has definitely expanded my fashion horizons. I never knew so many wonderful clothes existed in my size!
- I also love the Simply Be Printed Sheath Dress. The print is just so colorful and beautiful. It can be worn many different ways and always looks great. I like it cinched with a belt and some leggings and boots.
Oneida is wearing the Style & Co Three Quarter Sleeved Swirl Print Tunic
Why do you love Gwynnie Bee?
Oh Gwynnie Bee, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways! I could write another Top 10 post about why I love Gwynnie Bee. This was my first one:
Top 10 Signs You’re Probably Obsessed With Gwynnie Bee
- After you send items back, you constantly log in and look to see whether the number of items in your closet has gone down and check to see what’s coming next.
- You buy less clothing and more accessories to go with your GB outfits.
- You skip on buying certain items at the store because you’ve already closeted it on Gwynnie Bee.
- You take a lot more pictures of yourself in the bathroom.
- You post said pics to Gwynnie Bee’s Facebook page.
- You are thinking of starting a blog to show off your new Gwynnie Bee looks (or you already have one).
- You obsessively check the website every other Tuesday, when new items are released.
- You write a love letter to Gwynnie Bee expressing how it has changed your life.
- You get 10 times more compliments than ever before.
- You feel prettier, happier and more confident than ever.
Seriously though, I love Gwynnie Bee because for the first time I actually look forward to getting dressed in the morning, I am finally having fun with fashion and feel like I’m cared about, not just an afterthought. What I mean by that is that all the clothes are beautifully made, with our curves in mind not the kind of clothes that you know they just “made it bigger”. I get compliments all the time now and it’s a wonderful feeling. I have even have non-plus size friends express jealousy at not having a GB type service for them!
Oneida is wearing the IGIGI Irena Sweater Dress
Tell us about your Not a Model experience!
I decided to do the Not a Model shoot because I wanted to challenge myself to do something really different. I normally hate having my picture taken and am the one that always volunteers to take pictures so I don’t have to be in them. When I was offered the opportunity, I thought “well here’s a chance to change that”. It turned out to be such a wonderful experience! Being in front of the camera, in the hands of such a talented and kind staff, made me feel full of confidence and I had so much fun with it. I am so grateful for the experience!
Oneida with her daughter and mother on the Not a Model set.
Three generations of lovely women!
Thanks Oneida for being a gorgeous model for us! What’s your favorite look from this Not a Model session?